Understanding Baseball's Power Position with Coach Jeff Duncan

Posted by Todd Shaffer on

Understanding Baseball's Power Position with Coach Jeff Duncan

Coach Jeff Duncan has joined the CoachSpot.com family to share the valuable insights and techniques that helped him during his career as a Major League Baseball outfield for the New York Mets.  Coach Duncan was drafted in 2000.  He would also spend time playing with the San Diego Padres, Los Angeles Dodgers and Toronto Blue Jays.

Baseball's Jeff Duncan Builds Fundamentals During College and MLB Career

Prior to his professional baseball career, Coach Jeff Duncan would play his college baseball at Iowa State before transferring to Arizona State University where he would eventually be drafted by the Mets.

After his retirement from professional baseball in 2008, he would spend time at Auburn and Purdue as a coach.  It would not be until just prior to the 2014 season that Coach Jeff Duncan would join the Kent State University coaching staff.

Since joining the Kent State University Golden Flashes, he has led them three times to become East Division Champions in 2015, 2016 and 2017.  The Golden Flashes have won the MAC Conference Championship three times in 2016, 2017, and 2018.  They have been MAC Tournament Champs twice in 2014 and 2018 and Coach Duncan has been named MAC Coach of the Year in 2016, 2017 and 2018.

Coach Jeff Duncan has joined the CoachSpot.com team to share his first baseball instructional, THE FUNDAMENTALS OF HITTING.  In this release, Coach Duncan shares all of the most important details to improving your skills as a hitter and increase your overall batting average.  He covers everything from grip, to stance, to swing and more to ensure that you walk away better prepared to face what those opposing pitchers have coming your way.

In the video below, excerpted from THE FUNDAMENTALS OF HITTING, Coach Duncan breaks down the important Power Position from which all effective hitting starts.  Check it out below!

Why is the Power Position Important for Baseball Hitting?

For Coach Jeff Duncan, the Power Position or the Launch Position is the starting point for any success at the plate.  If this fundamental position is not entered into or is entered into sloppily, the player's hitting will suffer.  

Power Position Ensures Plate Coverage

By building a strong, squarEe Power Position, the hitter will maximize the range of their plate coverage.  As Coach Duncan states in the video, even though 80% of hitting will occur at the far corner of the plate, being able to cover the entire area will allow for the hitter to make adjustments for those tricky pitches that make up the other 20% of what we all see at bat.

Hip and Shoulder Placement Ensure Maximum Power

Once squared off and in the stance, it's now time to examine the placement of the hips and shoulders to ensure they are in a position to generate the maximum power and make hitting as efficient as possible.  The outer hips needs to be placed in line with the pitcher, while the same side hip should be aimed at the shortstop.

Elbows and Bat Angle Are The Devil In the  Baseball Power Position Details

Now that you have your hips and shoulders in the proper position, it's time to turn your attention to the positioning of the elbows to ensure that during the swing they follow the proper arc towards the pitcher.  In addition the angle of the bat will also be another factor in the power you generate.  

In the end, there are countless details that go into creating the perfect 'at bat', but Coach Jeff Duncan is here to take you from newbie to expert with THE FUNDAMENTALS OF HITTING available from CoachSpot.com.

Get your copy now here or at the BUY NOW button below.








Back to News